Leather has been a staple material in fashion and home decor for centuries, prized for its durability, strength, and natural beauty. However, in recent years, an alternative material has emerged – PU leather. Made from synthetic materials, PU leather is designed to mimic the look and feel of real leather while offering a range of advantages, including affordability and resistance to stains and fading.
But how does PU leather compare to real leather in terms of quality, durability, and environmental impact? In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at PU vs real leather, weighing the pros and cons of each material to help you make an informed decision when choosing between the two.
What is PU Leather?
PU leather is a synthetic material that is designed to look and feel like real leather. It’s made by coating a fabric base (usually polyester or cotton) with a layer of polyurethane. This layer is then embossed with a pattern that mimics the texture of real leather.
One of the biggest advantages of PU leather is that it’s significantly cheaper than real leather. It’s also more resistant to stains and fading, and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth. Additionally, PU leather is available in a wider range of colors and textures than real leather, making it a popular choice for fashion and home decor items.
However, there are also some downsides to PU leather. Because it’s a synthetic material, it doesn’t have the same natural beauty and texture as real leather. It’s also less breathable, which can make it uncomfortable to wear in hot weather. Finally, PU leather is less durable than real leather, and is more prone to cracking and peeling over time.
Read more “How to care for a faux leather jacket?”
- Affordable: PU leather jackets are generally much more affordable than genuine leather jackets, making them a more budget-friendly option.
- Animal-friendly: PU leather is a synthetic material, which means that it is not made from animal hide. For people who are opposed to using animal products, a PU leather jacket is a good alternative to a real leather jacket.
- Easy to care for: PU leather is generally easier to care for than genuine leather. It can be cleaned with a damp cloth and doesn’t require conditioning or special treatments to maintain its appearance.
- Durable: While not as durable as genuine leather, PU leather is still relatively durable and can withstand regular wear and tear.
- Versatile: PU leather jackets come in a wide range of styles and colors, making it easy to find one that fits your personal style.
- Not as breathable: PU leather is not as breathable as genuine leather, which can make it uncomfortable to wear in warm weather or for extended periods of time.
- Not as durable: While PU leather is still relatively durable, it is not as long-lasting as genuine leather. Over time, it may begin to crack or peel.
- Less valuable: Because PU leather is a synthetic material, it is generally considered to be less valuable than genuine leather. If you’re looking for an
investment piece, a real leather jacket may be a better choice.
- Not as soft: PU leather is generally not as soft as genuine leather, which can make it less comfortable to wear.
- Less authentic: Some people may prefer the authentic look and feel of genuine leather, and may not be satisfied with the look and feel of a PU leather jacket.
What is Real Leather?
Real leather is made from the hide of an animal (usually cow, sheep, or goat). It’s a natural material that is highly durable and breathable, and it develops a unique patina over time that gives it character and charm. Real leather is also biodegradable and environmentally friendly, making it a sustainable choice for eco-conscious consumers.
However, real leather is also significantly more expensive than PU leather. It’s also more prone to stains and fading, and requires regular maintenance (such as conditioning and polishing) to keep it looking its best. Additionally, some people may object to the use of animal hides in the production of leather.
- Durable: Genuine leather is a natural material that is known for its durability and strength. It can withstand regular wear and tear and can last for many years with proper care.
- Classic and timeless: A genuine leather jacket is a classic wardrobe staple that never goes out of style. It can be dressed up or down and is suitable for a wide range of occasions.
- Soft and supple: Genuine leather is known for its softness and supple texture. It molds to the wearer’s body over time, creating a comfortable and personalized fit.
- Increases in value: A high-quality genuine leather jacket can increase in value over time, especially if it is well-maintained and kept in good condition.
- Natural material: Genuine leather is a natural material that is biodegradable and eco-friendly, making it a more sustainable choice than synthetic materials.
- Expensive: Genuine leather jackets can be quite expensive, especially if they are made from high-quality leather.
- High-maintenance: Genuine leather requires regular care and maintenance to keep it looking its best. It needs to be cleaned and conditioned regularly to prevent cracking and dryness.
- Heavy: Leather jackets can be quite heavy, which can make them uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
- Not as breathable: Leather is not as breathable as other materials, which can make it uncomfortable to wear in warm weather or in situations where the wearer is physically active.
- May not be cruelty-free: Some people may be opposed to using animal products, and genuine leather is made from animal hide. For these individuals, synthetic materials like PU leather may be a more ethical choice.
Which One Is Right For You?
When it comes to choosing between PU and real leather, it really comes down to your personal preferences and needs. If you’re looking for a cost-effective and easy-to-maintain material for fashion or home decor items, then PU leather may be the way to go. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a natural and durable material with unique character and charm, then real leather may be a better choice.
Ultimately, the decision is up to you. Whichever option you choose, be sure to do your research and buy from a reputable seller to ensure that you’re getting a high-quality product that will last for years to come.
Don’t forget to share this guide with your friends on social.
Also, check the “how to remove smell from a leather jacket.”